Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Best-Laid Plans

School vacation week! Aside from getting to spend some quality time with my two little cherubs, vacation week also affords me some flexibility in my training. I didn't have to rush home from Masters swim to get the kids ready for school, and got in a couple of my double workouts before my husband even left for work.

On Wednesday I planned my bike ride for mid-afternoon. I had the kids out all day and felt justified in putting them in front of a movie so I could get in my hour & 15 min. ride at 3pm. This would allow me to shower, make dinner, and have a relaxing evening with my husband after putting the kids to bed. Aaaahhh.....

I got the snacks and drinks, set up the movie in the basement, went to get on my bike, and the phone rings. It's our contractor, who has a crew coming over RIGHT NOW to fix a chronic leak in our downstairs playroom. Argh!

I broke the news to the kids, got changed, and figured I still might have time to get the ride in before dinner. No such luck. They worked in our basement until 6pm.

We had dinner, and I got the kids upstairs early, thinking if I got them to sleep by 7pm, I'd be finished with my ride around 8:15, and that's not SO bad.

Guess what?! They weren't tired. But I was! I was lying in bed with my daughter, trying not to nod off, wondering how the heck I was going to get through this ride.

By the time she finally fell asleep it was almost 7:45. Gulp. I would be on my bike until 9pm. And this wasn't just an easy ride. It involved 6 intervals where I had to go all out for  5 minutes with 3 minutes recovery in between. And between Dan traveling and me being sick, I couldn't possibly skip this workout.

I did the first 5 minutes and swore I would die before I could do that 5 more times. I did the second and thought if I could get through three, then at least I'd be half-way there. I made it through the third and started feeling a tiny bit more confident. I got through the fourth and fifth by just counting in my head. I don't know why that worked, but it did. And then I got to six and I was so psyched to be almost done with these things, that I just plowed through it.

It was exhausting, but the Ironman will be even more exhausting, so I'm glad I pushed myself and got through it. Although the worst part was that I had to jump in the shower, get into bed, and get up at 5am and get right back on the bike. Oy.

4 comments:

  1. Can't believe your crazy schedule and how you manage. Hope the basement leak is fixed

    Your mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not imagine doing anything workout related at that time of night so my deepest congrats on doing that workout. I think I might have had to write that off. I feel your pain with the intervals and you know it is going to be ugly when the first one hurts. Way to power through them. It was great to have your company this morning for a run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go! I find it so very hard to get a workout in at off times like that.. but nice job powering through! I love that you followed your plan and got it done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys :). If I hadn't had such a bad week the week before, I would totally have blown it off! Mind over matter got me through it-- oh and True Blood.

    ReplyDelete