Thursday, July 12, 2012

Tapering is not relaxing.

So here I am 2 weeks into my taper. I'm anxious. I'm irritable. I have virtually no appetite. I'm having trouble sleeping. I'm losing patience with my children.  I guess my body has become so accustomed to the workload that I'm going through a bit of a withdrawal. I have 10 days left and I just need to get to the starting line and finally DO this.

I've spent the better part of the last year preparing for this thing, and it's now 10 days away. I've learned a lot about myself and about triathlon training in general throughout this process. I would now like to share some of my newfound knowledge with you. Here are some of the key things I have learned:

1. Puking does not necessarily mean the workout is over.
2. I will never be hard-core enough to pee on my bike.
3. It takes a village to raise an Ironman. You will never get to the starting line without the support of family and friends.
4. Enjoy that tail-wind while it lasts. The ride back is going to suck.
5. There is no such thing as bad running weather, only bad clothing choices.
6. Triathlon swimming is a contact sport. Treat it as such.
7. Rest is the fourth discipline.
8. A compatible training partner is worth her weight in gold.
9. I always have one more interval left, even when I really, really think I don't.
10. I'm a lot tougher than I thought.



4 comments:

  1. I remember when you said you were going to run the Boston Marathon. I never told you but I didn't think you could do it. I was very wrong.
    I didn't see how you could possibly keep up with the rigorous training of the Ironman. You most certainly have. On July 22 I am going to be waiting at the finish line (on my computer)for you and Deanne.

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all ten. I would add one more.....Mother Nature clearly hates us. I hope that she is done with us now and will come to love and appreciate us by giving us perfect race day conditions. We can do this Ironbuddy!!!!!! We own July 22nd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny, I have a very similar post in daft form about my 10 races. It's amazing what pushing yourself can teach you! You've got this thing!! Try...attempt...to enjoy the taper and the experience and leave the rest behind. Cant wait to follow the day of the Ironman!!! Kiill it!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You Iron-women are amazing!!! After watching yesterday on TV I'm even more excited for both of you...can't wait to track your progress...you got this!!!

    ReplyDelete