Monday, March 5, 2012

Declaring War on My Bad Self

Finally, I'm feeling like I have my mojo back. I did my 3-hour ride on Saturday and my 10-mile run on Sunday and felt like a superstar (and I LOOOOVE my new seat!).

But since this was my second respiratory infection within the last six months, I've realized my body is trying to tell me something. For years I've managed to burn the candle at both ends without suffering much in the way of consequences. I could get up at the crack of dawn and run after a late night of cocktails with my friends, or stay up late watching movies with my husband, a bottle of wine and Indian food. My constitution doesn't seem to be down with that anymore. Actually, between the heartburn, insomnia, and sickness, it seems to be screaming, "You're FORTY, dummy!" And after this last bout, I'm ready to listen.

I'm now starting the Build Phase of Ironman training. Time to stop fooling around and realize that there will be sacrifices. I need to rid my diet of birthday-cake frosting and leftover chicken nuggets. I need more sleep, and my social life has to end by 8pm with herbal tea instead of Pinot Noir. I'm not that invincible 39-year old anymore.

If I'm going to be an Ironman, I need to realize I'm not made of iron.

5 comments:

  1. Your words echo mine over this past weekend. Except for the part about being too old to make my body do what I want it too! I have promised myself over the next 2 weeks to cut out the junk- cake, cookies, french fries, etc- and try to eat clean to prepare myself to race 13.1 on the 18th. I will never get enough sleep, I cant do much about that, but I have committed to attempting yoga to help my body deal with my running obsession. Good luck my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rach! You're one of those annoying freaks of nature who keep getting better and better with age. By the time we hit 50 you'll be qualifying for the Olympics! Good luck on your 1/2. Do you have a goal time in mind??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will happily host mom teas until you're ready to rejoin our hard-drinking (in our own minds) crew. Glad you had a good training weekend and are back on track.

      Delete
    2. Ha! you are the first to call me a freak of nature! too funny. of course I have a time goal! I may have told you this already but I always set 3 goals: the "ideal", the "realistic" and the "settle for". :-) so for this half marathon ideal is 1:42, realistic is 1:44 and "settle for" is anything better than last year which was 1:44:49. I will honestly be pleased with anything under a 1:44. wish me LOTS of luck. its gonna hurt!

      Delete
  3. Same here! I always have a 3-tiered goal system. Wow, 1:44! Well, I'll be sending you good vibes next Sunday!

    ReplyDelete