Thursday, March 1, 2012

Saddle-Sore

While I'm convalescing, I decided to use all of my extra free time today at Fitwerx spending money on my bike (sorry, Dan). It needed a tune-up anyway, and my bike saddle has been getting progressively less and less comfortable the longer I ride. So I've been researching saddles online, specifically those built for women.

It's an awkward conversation to have with a bunch of male bike mechanics: "I need a new saddle because my crotch hurts." But I've learned there are secret code-words to avoid embarrassment. Is the pain "posterior" (butt pain) or "anterior" (lady-part pain)?  My answer is C: all of the above and all of the parts in between. The helpful bike gurus at Fitwerx had me try several seats, two of them from Terry, a company that designs bikes and bike gear for women. I had read rave reviews of them online, and I  immediately noticed a big difference. I settled on the Terry Tri Gel Butterfly seat, that is slightly wider in the rear (like me), has a sculpted gel seat for extra cushioning, and a cutout in the middle to give relief to those "anterior parts".

I asked if having a wider, gel saddle would slow me down any, and was told, "It's going to slow you down more if your butt hurts so much that you can't sit." True dat.

Apparently there is a break-in period that can take up to four months, so by August the saddle should be in peak condition. Hopefully my saddle will break in a couple of weeks early, so I can count on maximum comfort when I spend all damn day in it in Lake Placid.

No comments:

Post a Comment