Monday, February 27, 2012

Side-lined

So I saw the nurse practitioner again today, and she told me that I actually sound worse than I did on Friday. But the good news is, it appears I don't have asthma. But the bad news: I do have some kind of bronchitis/chest infection that has lingered for so long that I now need antibiotics, steroids, and an albuterol inhaler to get rid of it.

As she's telling me about the boat-load of pills I have to take every day and the potential side-effects, I said, "Ok, but I'm training for an Ironman -- it won't interfere with my training, will it??"

She looked at me for a second and I saw her take a deep breath. Uh-oh, this can't be good. "You have an infection, your body needs rest to let the medicines do what they're supposed to do. I want you to take at least the next 48 hours completely off, then come back in and I'll listen to you before I give you the ok to start training again."

In my head I'm thinking, "How can I circumvent this?? There must be some loophole in this so that I can completely ignore everything she just said."

She's looking at me like she knows exactly what I'm thinking. "You understand what I'm saying, right? I've done some triathlons too. I know what an Ironman is. You need rest."

And my brain is saying, "Swimming....swimming won't be too strenuous, I can still do that. And biking...maybe if I just spin in an easy gear...biking should be fine. And maybe the running part...if I just go to the Common and run easy around the park. Yeah....that should be ok too. It's all good. It's fine."

She's definitely looking inside my brain, "OK, I'm going to say it like this: this is an INVESTMENT, that you are making UP FRONT so that you won't have to take EVEN MORE time off when you get EVEN SICKER for not taking the time off NOW."

OK, the fog is clearing. I need to be rational. And smart. This is probably where having a coach would be helpful. But I get it. Nothing for two days. Nothing. Two days. Really that shouldn't be a big deal at all. Provided it really is only two days. Which it has to be. Because I'm not going to be very easy to live with if it stretches on for longer than that (or I should say, I'll be LESS easy to live with). 

Two days. TWO.


2 comments:

  1. Apparently you and I have the same stuff rolling around in our heads as I have also spent the week trying to cram missed workouts in. Listen to the the woman Kerry. She is right. In the big scheme of things these few missed workouts don't mean jack. Getting run down and out for a few weeks will however. I think this being able to breathe part will be really important for your training!!! Besides if you rest now you will be fresh and raring to go Sunday for our 1:45 run and we can pass everyone we come across!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement :). It's been 3 days now including my regular Monday rest day. I'm definitely BETTER, but still not 100%. I was supposed to do a 1 hr run today and I think I'll do a 1/2 hr on the treadmill tonight, and an easy swim in the am. I will be so ready to pick off runners with you on Sunday -- esp. after taking steroids all week!

    ReplyDelete