Saturday, February 18, 2012

Am I Ready??


I got this in an email this week from Lake Placid Ironman. And the answer is, "No! Not yet!". But I'm about to complete my 8th week of training, and in 2 weeks I'll shift from the Base Phase into the Build Phase, where things will really start heating up. The Base Phase starts out pretty light, and stays fully in the aerobic heart-rate zones -- no sprints, no interval training, nothing where I can't comfortably have a conversation with someone. Right now, my typical Base Phase week looks like this:

Monday: REST!
Tues: Bike 45 mins/Run 15 mins (back to back), weights
Wed: Swim 2500 yards (about a mile and a 1/2), run 1 hour
Thurs: Run 1 hr, weights
Friday: Swim 2500 yards, bike 1 hour
Saturday: Run 1hr 15 mins
Sunday: Bike 2 hrs

In the Build Phase, my weeks will start looking more like this:

Monday: REST!
Tues: Swim 3000 yards, run 1 hour
Wed: Swim 3000 yards, bike 1hr 15 mins
Thurs: Bike 45 mins, run 30 mins (back to back)
Friday: Swim 3000 yards, run 1 hour, 15 mins
Saturday: Bike 4 hours (!),  run 45 mins (back to back)
Sunday: 1 hour bike, 1 1/2 hour run

And I can't even think about the Peak Phase yet, which is the final 10 weeks where workouts will top out at 20 hours per week. That's like a part-time job!

I'm confident that all of this base training will get me to that point, but I'll be more worried about the impact on my family. So far it's been very manageable. And thank goodness my husband has been so supportive. But there will be a few weekends at the end where I will be an absentee wife/mother. I hope I can make it to the Ironman without my family disowning me!

No comments:

Post a Comment