Thursday, February 2, 2012

Misery Loves Company

The last couple of weeks have been plagued with sickness -- a chest cold and a stomach bug right on top of one another. Thankfully I only missed one workout day, but I've been less than enthused about getting up and getting out there in the dark and cold. I've especially missed my workout friends. We've all been on different schedules and my runs have been lonely. This morning we finally reconnected for our 4:30am run around Marblehead Neck and it definitely made a difference being able to socialize. I used to be fine with running by myself, and once in a while I still enjoy it. I even trained for my first marathon alone. But now I prefer running with my friends, especially so I can hear my friend Cindy's stories. They're not always factually correct, but they are always entertaining.

I'm especially dreading these long trainer rides. I'll be up to 3 hours pretty soon, and the thought of being on that thing for 3 hours in my basement by myself makes my brain hurt. I can NOT read on the trainer. Last weekend, I watched an Ashton Kutcher movie for my 1:45 ride. That's pretty much the level of concentration I can maintain when I'm biking. But I guess that's going to be part of my Ironman training too -- learning to manage the monotony when I'm all alone. Although I'm sure the scenery on the bike route in Lake Placid will be much more stimulating than the view of my washer & dryer in my basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment